|Photo: Small pies (Manaeish) or Fatayer Recipe|
The kitchen (The Home of Delicious Arabic Food Recipes) invites you to try Small pies (Manaeish) or Fatayer Recipe. Enjoy the Arabic Cuisine and learn how to make Small pies (Manaeish) or Fatayer.
1 Tbs yeast
¼ Cup water, warm
2 ½ Cup flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
¾ Cup milk
¼ Cup oil
1 Egg, beaten +2 Tbs milk
– Dissolve yeast in warm water, leave for 5 minutes or until foamy.
– Combine flour, salt and sugar in an electric mixer on low speed.
– Add yeast mixture, milk and oil while beating on medium speed for 10 minutes or until soft dough is formed (can be mixed with hands for about 25 minutes).
– Place dough and roll in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1hour or until doubled in size.
– Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a (½ cm thickness) circle. Cut into approximately 7 cm circles.
– Brush circle edges with the egg mixture and fill one side of the circle as desired (for example white cheese and dried mint mixture), then fold into a half circle; pinch the edges with a fork to seal. (Hint: flour the fork so it won’t stick with the dough).
– Brush with the egg mixture, prick with a fork, sprinkle with sesame seeds, black sesame or crushed pistachios (as desirer).
– Bake for 15 minutes or until golden (time may vary according to filling).
*For spinach filling:
(Olive oil/ spinach, cut/ pomegranates seeds/pomegranates syrup/lemon juice)
– heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add ingredients and stir until done.
– Fill pies by adding a portion of the mixture in the middle of the dough circle, then fold edges to meet in the middle to shape a triangle. Top with pomegranates seeds.
* For minced beef filling (precooked ground beef, pine nuts)
– Place a portion of filling in the middle of the dough circle; pinch the edges to form an unsealed square. Sprinkle with roasted pine nuts.